Last week I had the pleasure of seeing my girlfriend Julia while on a business trip in the Big D (Detroit, that is).
Julia lives super close to my company's Detroit-area regional office, not to mention it was her birthday, so seeing her was a must. She picked me up from the airport and we scooted off to dinner.
While Julia and her fiance live in a cute suburb of Detroit (Northville), they wanted to take me somewhere with a little more character and flair — an area 10-minutes from their Northville home (downtown Plymouth). Plymouth is about 26 due west from the city center of Detroit, not far from Livonia or Farmington Hills.
I hear Detroit Red Wings (hockey team) players are often spotted in Plymouth, and I can see why. The fun downtown area features restaurants, bars, art galleries and boutiques gallore (and not your Applebee's variety). See more about downtown Plymouth, Michigan, here. We hit up Ironwood Grill, which had a huge menu of better-than-average bar food (think from wings to thai chicken wraps) and a good beer selection. I especially enjoyed the spinach dip. We also stopped by the Box Bar, a bar/restaurant that is really more a bar than it is a restaurant because of its more than 300 global beers (and I love a good beer selection!). One downside to this place… no samples – per the management. It was so great seeing Julia!
Julia! Can't wait to see you and Paddy get married in just a few months!!!
Here I am in a typical travel outfit:
– Cross-body purse that holds most anything I'd need on the road (Coach Kristin bag via eBay… still digging the fun but neutral/bold color – goes with almost anything)
– Black slacks that are comfortable enough to fly in but versatile enough for a work function or a casual friend dinner. These are Limited via eBay.
– Inexpensive black tank (probably from Old Navy for $5 or $6)
– Some random assymetrical black and white striped sweater from Ross Dress for Less, an item that has become a staple with jeans, dresses and slacks alike
– Target danglies I picked up just before this trip for $6
– (Not shown – my Dolce Vita for Target hemp-heeled gladiator sandals)
– Total outfit not including handbag: $75
So Julia had a great idea…. make "What do you wear when you travel?" our next AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION FRIDAY!
You may have to compile your ideal travel outfit by saving photos from your favorite shops, or by digging through your recent trip photos for a good picture. Or you can always stage a little photo shoot and pretend you're traveling… I won't be picky. I'll give you some time. Send me your "Here's What I Wear When I Travel" photos by 10pm on Wednesday, May 4. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. That gives you a week and a half, my pretties.